Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner is hosting this awesome end of the year survey. Check out the survey page to see all the link-ups from your favorite book bloggers!
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
This one is just about impossible to answer. And since I've already named my favorites of the year in each genre, I'll go ahead and try to limit it to one. I'm going to say that my favorite this year was How to Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I was so pumped when I got it and so let down when I read it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. This was a total spur of the moment read based on what was available at the library on the day I was bored and looking for an ebook - and I am convinced that it was Providence!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
And as a PS: I am super annoyed with all of you who have not listened to me and read these yet.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Brandon Sanderson and Gillian Flynn
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Honestly, I find this hard to answer, because I read such a wide variety of genres. I think Spark by John Ratey could qualify for this though, as exercise isn't something I typically read about. Another could be Black Dahlia and White Rose by Joyce Carol Oates. I love short stories, but in looking back over the past few years it's something I haven't read much of.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I almost never reread, but I can see myself going through How To Be A Woman again.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
All There Is by Dave Isay - I've put in a picture, but honestly you have to see the white cover and the embossed tiny hearts in real life to get what an amazing cover it is.
Kevin from We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Luke has been asking me to read this one forever and I finally caved. SUCH a good decision!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
I'm really bad with quotes - I don't have any noted or written down.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Shortest: The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories 2
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Pretty much the entirety of The Crimson Crown series, but also the Mistborn books and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I loved Zuzana and Carou in Daughter of Smoke and Bone; Big and Mosey from A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty; Beth and Jennifer in Attachments.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater; The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Gotta be the Crimson Crown books. Joyce wins best book-recommending friend of the year for pushing these relentlessly!
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
I don't really have one - I'm pretty pleased with all of my reviews.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I liked "I May Be Judging You"
I actually really appreciated the discussion at Stacked that stemmed from "The ARC Stops Here"
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Decatur Book Festival and the Savannah Book Festival
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Movie Review) is far and away the all-time most popular post this year and probably of all time. It's kind of weird.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My rearrangement of the bookcases post.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
My Sony e-Reader. I am obsessed.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My goal was to read 125 books - I wound up finishing with 138!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
All of them? I honestly can't pick just one - I read based on what I'm interested in at the moment, so I rarely plan ahead and prioritize.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
I'm looking forward to finishing the Divergent Series.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Keep up with reviews! I'm still behind with last year's reviews, so who knows if this will happen, but it would be so nice. As far as numbers go, I'm going for 130.