1) Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I literally forgot to breathe during the last chapters of this one. And it's one of my all time favorite books.
2) Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. And don't even get me started on the movie.
3) Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. Notice a trend? All of my favorite books are also books that tore me up. This one is about sisters, which is a subject that will always get me teary.
4) The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Another book where the sister relationship killed me.
5) Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. Tea Cake! That is all.
6) Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. A friendship story that makes me cry every single time.
7) A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Another story of friendship and someone who knew his life mattered. Sigh.
8) The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. This is the only memoir on my list, but it will break your heart. Didion perfectly captures grief over the loss of a loved one.
9) Maus by Art Spiegelman. The only graphic novel on my list and an amazing work. Another one of my all time favorites.
10) The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Beautiful story of life-long love and the writing will blow you away.